– Single-family housing starts up 4.4% in Dec. Single-family starts have risen for three consecutive months, though drop in multi-family caused overall 4.1% decline.
– Builder confidence rises fourth consecutive time in January Index at its highest level in four-and-a-half years; latest uptick seen in every component and region of the country. Appraisal Institute: Don’t shoot the messenger New effort, materials attempt to counter a belief that appraisers did something wrong if appraised...
– Avoid foreclosure with help from HUD-approved agencies Owners at risk of foreclosure can tap into HUD’s nationwide network of counselors for a free evaluation and counseling.
– Serving a military market niche After leaving Iraq, many service personnel are returning to Fla.; a Realtor can help them with their real estate challenges. Program educates public on foreclosure scams A program backed by the U.S. Congress lists signs of a scam as it encourages owners to...
– NAHB survey: Voters value homeownership 73% of owners and renters believe it’s appropriate and reasonable for the feds to promote homeownership tax incentives. Florida Realtors PAC gets makeover Florida Realtors PAC has a new name, logo and advocacy campaign as it tackles issues impacting Realtors and homeowners.
– HUD to release $110M in assistance grants Program focuses on improving impoverished areas and neighborhoods; under the rules, for-profit developers may apply.
– Home builders: Twice as many ‘improving housing markets’ Home builders: 76 U.S. markets have improved in last six months, including Jacksonville, Cape Coral and Punta Gorda. Florida Realtors Mid-Winter Meetings begin It’s not too late to register at the door – or virtually visit by staying connected through...
– Fed issues housing market white paper Report: While no one solution exists, U.S. needs easier credit, plus more modifications, refinancings and short sales.
– 5 insurance mistakes consumers make Insurance Info Institute: Trim costs but don’t lower coverage, drop flood option or make decisions based on price alone. HUD homes: $100 downpayment in Fla. Through Oct., HUD will sell REO homes to owner-occupants who qualify for FHA financing, including 203k fix-up loans.
– Retirees could again lead Fla. rebound Latest U.S. Census report finds Fla. No. 1 for in-migration from other states, with older adults leading the pack.